Pages

I use both a Nook and Kindle so if you see a book you wish to borrow just let me know and let's be friends...susanslomski@yahoo.com.





September 20, 2012

Book 43 of My 2012 Goal

Blood Amalgam (Crimson Chronicles, #1)Blood Amalgam by Corey Sondrup
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really wasn't sure what to make of 'Blood Amalgam' when I was trying to decide if I wanted to read it. I knew it was a fictional, paranormal romance that sounded fascinating and I love stories that include "supernatural" elements in them so I figured I would try this one. Once I started reading it I was hooked into reading the whole thing because the action started on page one and continued throughout the book. There was something going on with each turn of the page that made me want to continue reading it to find out what happened.

I do not want to write a spoiler but in all fairness I should tell you that I do not like Vampires and Werewolves. I normally don't read such books and the mere mention of them usually turns me off. They are mentioned and other 'supernatural' beings such as Drones, Pixies, Skinwalkers, and Amalgams to name a few but they are done in such a way that they are not the main focus of the plot. In other words, this is not a Vampire story or a Werewolf story, it is a story about the main character, Wyatt, who's normal life of a twenty-one year old seems to take a turn to a life of decisions and confusion overnight. Wyatt learns who and what he really is (despite the fact that he don't even believe in such things) and must decide which path to take. I especially liked that the author used real historical events such as "The Long Walk" of the Navajo Nation in the 1860's. It was cleaver of her to alter who helped the Army to round these people up to make the 'reason' for the curse in her story.

This, to me, is a fast moving story but some of the characters are not well developed so I had a problem connecting with them. In fact, I had a problem remember who is who and had to go back and find how this person fit in. I wish that these characters were either developed more fully or just left as a nickname that popped in and then out of the story and not reappearing later on where you have to remember who this person is. I also didn't really care for Gretchen's nickname for Wyatt which is, "Lover". I can't really say why I disliked it, it could be that they weren't together that long and it cheapens "love" or maybe because she said it so much, maybe both but whatever the reason I do know it was annoying me. Also, I don't think a man of twenty-one would like his girlfriend to call him that in public. It is one thing to call him it in private as a pet-name behind closed doors but not in public around strangers. He didn't want to be called "Tigger" in public and "Lover" is even worse. Any ways, that is just my personal thoughts and opinion about it but thought it was worth mentioning since I found it so annoying.

I have read other reviews and they spoke about the grammar/spelling errors. I don't know if I was just into the story but I really didn't notice them. If they were still there then it didn't take away anything from the story to me. On the whole I thought the story was good and the author cleaver in his use of history. Because of the language used I would recommend this book to adults who like paranormal romance with a lot of action.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your comment.