Pages

I use both a Nook and Kindle so if you see a book you wish to borrow just let me know and let's be friends...susanslomski@yahoo.com.





March 30, 2013

Book Thirteen of my 2013 Goal

The Bones of OthersThe Bones of Others by Vickie McKeehan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Bones of Others by Vickie McKeehan is another one of those books I just couldn't put down. It is a fictional story about pedophiles and human slave trafficking of young girls which sounds like something I wouldn't want to read since it is so negative but it also deals with survival and even a little bit of revenge. What I found so memorable is the way that the young girls are abducted. It is so real, so scary and as a parent I don't think I would ever look at a picnic in the park the same way again. As I said it is fictional but it is very realistic and believable as far as that goes.

Skye Cree who is part Indian is the main character. She was abducted as a child, raped but managed to get away. Now as a woman she learned fighting techniques and is excellent with a knife. She walks the streets to look for the pedophiles to put a stop to their actions and most importantly to find the girls that she knows were abducted by these monsters. She knows that they have their way with them until the ship comes in and they are smuggled on board to go to some foreign land to the highest bidder. So time is important and she must find them before they are shipped off.

Skye who was in pursuit of a pedophile happens to see a man in need in the alley way. He is being robbed and there are four thugs beating him. Skye comes to the rescue and no one is left standing however she now lost the trail of pedophole. The guy she 'saved' turns out to be Josh Ander who is owner of a gaming company. Eventually they join forces but they are not alone. There is a bit of 'legend' and the 'spiritual' or maybe a better term is ' Indian Folklore' that comes into play and we learn about Kiya. I thought this was a fantastic twist on the story. The most memorable part is the first time I read about Kiya and she tells Skye, "Remember, Skye Cree, the hunt isn't always successful. There will be another night, another hunt, you must never give up. Your path in life was set long before you were ever born. Find those that need you. They cry out in fear and pain. They are bound, kept hidden, locked away. Seek them. Set them free, Skye Cree". (Partial quote from Chapter two.) It made it interesting and answered a lot of questions. Not only was Skye trying to seek out these girls to set them free and find the monsters who abducted them, it was her fate to do so.

Another interesting twist is the former 'friend' (and I use this term loosely) of Josh's named Michelle. She was playing with a half a deck, if you know what I mean. She was the reason Josh was in the alley way to begin with. I can definitely relate to this situation and found it very believable and in a way a bit amusing.

Skye Cree and Josh discover many things together not only about themselves and each other but about the disappearance of young girls and the human slave market. Unfortunately, I found this also all too real. One only needs to turn on the TV or pick up a newspaper to see this is not a fictional crime. It even makes me wonder about all those children I have seen on the back of milk cartoons that went missing. Many to this day were never found. Could they have fallen victim to this fate?

The flow of the story was great and the characters were believable. The ending of the story at least gave closure to some. It is a story that will haunt me long after I read it. I recommend this story to all adults especially those with children.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your comment.