Pages

I use both a Nook and Kindle so if you see a book you wish to borrow just let me know and let's be friends...susanslomski@yahoo.com.





February 9, 2013

Book Eight of my 2013 Goal

Married in Haste (Marriage, #1)Married in Haste by Cathy Maxwell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Married in Haste by Cathy Maxwell is an Adult Historical Fictional Romance. The setting is London, 1814 and later on the setting changes to Wales. The story was written in some language of the times with the "My Lord" and "My Lady" as well as the mindset back then where women were basically mindless creatures with the only purpose of living is to please their husband and provide him with children.

We are introduced to the main character Tess Hamlin at the very beginning of the story. Tess is at the dance and the most experienced debutante. Truth be told, Tess really doesn't want to marry. A wager is made by Tess and a couple of other debutantes on who would be asked to marry first. Word got out about the wager and no one was pleased, least of all Tess's brother who her late father had trusted as her guardian and to look after her inheritance. Tess had met the Earl of Merton and to save the brother from being ruined and Tess too by her unwise decision to make such a wager, he asks her brother for Tess in marriage. The brother in his rage and state of over drinking agrees and announces the engagement despite Tess's objections. Once married the Earl of Merton (Brenn Owen) plans on taking Tess back to Wales to Erwynn Keep, the estate he had inherited.

I found Tess quite likable with a strong will. She didn't bow to the 'ways' things were done but rather questioned them (of course this trait was not favored upon by most). She held her responsibilities high and blood (her brother) high as well. She would do nothing to hurt or ruin him so a secret had to be kept. I also loved how Tess was so naive with sex and even after she was married she was shocked to see him naked. She was funny, interesting, and I love how she could cut like a knife with just the use of her tongue. She is witty and forgiving, a little too forgiving if you ask me.

Brenn was also interesting as a character. He was keeping a secret from Tess. I loved the games he played trying to understand her and get her to do as he wished. I also loved his reaction to her as she did things to get her way or get under his skin. He was quite the romantic one and I found him to be likable.

Now I don't want to go into detail and spoil it for you but I will say that the quote,, "Men are not meant to understand women or women men because if they did there would be no adventure" sure stands the test of time. It also describes this easy reading, delightful Adult book, an adventure...one I enjoyed reading, I may add.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your comment.