Pages

I use both a Nook and Kindle so if you see a book you wish to borrow just let me know and let's be friends...susanslomski@yahoo.com.





February 11, 2014

Book 9 of my 2014 Goal

Close Your Eyes, Sweet AngelClose Your Eyes, Sweet Angel by M.J. Winn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

To think I almost passed on Close Your Eyes, Sweet Angel by M. J. Winn because after reading the description, I thought I wouldn't like it since it was about a prostitute. That just turned me off and didn't seem like something I'd enjoy reading about since I am not into romance, sex, or smut but the description does go on to say, "her secret regret ultimately lead to redemption," so I figured I would give it a try. After all, it is a 'short' story so even if I don't like it, it isn't going to take that long to read it so it isn't like it can drag on forever. I am so glad I read it, it was one of the most amazing short stories I have ever read!

The author's development of the main character, Chandra, is excellent. Not only did I know enough about her past to make this so heart wrenching, I knew her present and I could feel her pain, sorrow, and an array of other emotions. The secondary characters are developed enough where I was able to visualize what they looked like and what their personality is like without any problems. I even could visualize their reactions to what is being said or the way they acted.

Some authors are great on describing scenes like what is in a room, or what the street looks like but fall short to make me really 'feel' what the character feels. Not this author! He is great at describing the scene and I could feel the long, tired, colorless days of Chandra's life. It is almost like the feelings of depression, hopelessness, despair.

Even the cover of the book portrays the feeling of lonesomeness and isolation over time with its lack of color and just one child on the stairs looking down between the rails as if she is longing for someone to come up them. Of course the cover has other significance which I will not say due to the possibility of giving any spoilers but the impact of the cover really 'feels' like how Chandra did. I thought it was an excellent choice of covers on the author's part.

The story is only about twenty seven pages and if there is any format or typos, I didn't notice them. It isn't long but it is such a powerful story. It is one of those stories when you finish it you sit back in the chair and say, "Wow!" The ending is really amazing as well. Best way to describe it is 'satisfying'.

Due to the language and content of this book I would only recommend it to adults.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your comment.