Pages

I use both a Nook and Kindle so if you see a book you wish to borrow just let me know and let's be friends...susanslomski@yahoo.com.





August 2, 2015

Book 22 of 2015

Dyslexia Isn't an ObstacleDyslexia Isn't an Obstacle by Firdevs Dede
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Dyslexia Isn't an Obstacle by Firdevs Dede is not your average book, it's actually an academic book written to empower students with reading, writing, and critical thinking skills as well as a host of other learning and what I would call life skills. It is designed in a fun and interesting narration in a story form. Although the book was written for people with dyslexia, I found it educational. I always thought dyslexic people just wrote their letters backwards and had a hard time reading but this book opened my eyes to some of what dyslexia is and that it is not really an obstacle or a disability, as so many label it, but rather a unique understanding of connections in the world we live in.

The book tells the story of Felix, a young man who is dyslexic. He is a very well developed character (in fact, all the characters are) and the story starts with him at a rough time in his life when he is homeless and in trouble with the law. Felix never finished school, couldn't read or write well, and his future looked bleak. As the story went on this all changed with the proper therapy and learning techniques which the book does touch on.

I found the book was detailed. When it takes a page and half to make and put a cup of tea on the table, I tend to get anxious for the story to continue. However, the book wasn't written just for me and those like me who are not dyslexics but for those who need to read the details. I even became aware that in these details were 'lessons' for thinking, decisions, and time management, just to name a few. I found as I read further that my anxiety to move on with the story turned into wonderment. I was interested in finding out more about dyslexia and the way that using the right side of your brain effects the way you perceive the world and people around you.

Speaking of details, I couldn't help but noticing typos or missing words such as 'the' but it doesn't change the fact that the story itself was interesting, humorous in parts, and educational. It doesn't matter if you are a student who is dyslexic or not, I would recommend reading this book. It will open your eyes to a whole new way of learning and seeing things.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your comment.