Pages

I use both a Nook and Kindle so if you see a book you wish to borrow just let me know and let's be friends...susanslomski@yahoo.com.





March 23, 2012

Book Fourteen of my 2012 Goal

From the ChrysalisFrom the Chrysalis by Karen E. Black

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


From the Chrysalis by Karen E. Black covers a time span of several years and the setting is Canada for the most part. It is a fictional romance with a taste of mystery, violence, and sex. I find other books sometimes have sex that is over done and redundant but that is not the case here since Karen Black has seemed to master a style of her own.

In 1966 Elizabeth "Liza" Devereux is a fourteen year old growing up in a household with her younger twin brothers, her mother, and a step-father who doesn't like her. Life at home became unbearable so she is sent to live with her grandmother in Dublin. She is close to her cousin D'Arcy "Dace" Devereux, a young man who seems to find trouble at every turn. In 1971 when he is sent to Maitland Penitentiary, Liza enrolls in Maitland University so she could be close to him.

Liza seems to have an unnatural connection to Darcy and throughout the book I wondered if she would even realize how messed up Darcy's life is and how he is dragging her right down with him. Between the motorcycle gang, the drugs, and the sex I thought for sure she would end up even more messed up than he was. It was like she was too blinded by love and would never see her way out. Even after she grown up it still seemed like she was a child seeking the love of Darcy and she didn't care what she had to do to get it and keep it.

When she finds herself in the family way and Mel comes to the rescue I thought she had her prayers answered but was I in for a shock. Not only did it seem like she was having a mental breakdown, she didn't know who she wanted to be with. Her connection to Darcy was so strong but there was more than just herself to think of now.

Liza loves butterflies and reading the story she reminded me of one. The Caterpillar (14 year old Liza) become a butterfly and spreads her wings and flies. I found this book held my attention and I always wanted to know what happened next. If Liza isn't faced with some major problem then it was Darcy. This young man even found trouble while he was in trouble which of course also affected Liza so the story was never boring. I did find it slow in some parts but it never comes to a halt. I enjoyed this book and I would recommend you put it on your reading list too.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your comment.