Pages

I use both a Nook and Kindle so if you see a book you wish to borrow just let me know and let's be friends...susanslomski@yahoo.com.





March 2, 2012

Book Ten of My 2012 Goal

Best Ghost StoriesThe Best Ghost Stories by Various

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


The Best Ghost Stories is a collection of different ghost stories during different times and by different authors. All claiming them true of course.
I have to admit that I wasn't crazy about the first story, 'The Apparition of Mrs. Veal' by Daniel De Foe, since it was written using such old terms I had a bit of a time trying to understand it. If I wasn't re-reading the paragraph because of the terms then it was because I was trying to figure out who said what. It went back and forth so quick, she said this and she said that, my head hurt.
The other story I didn't care much for is 'Dey Ain't No Ghosts' by Ellid Parker Butler because it is again hard to understand. The racial "tone" of this story turned me off from the start. I really don't find this type of writing acceptable and I quote from the story, " 'Ca'se dat li'l black boy he so specially black he can't be seen in de dark at all 'cept by de whites ob he eyes."
The rest of the stories were varying degrees of enjoyable. Including the ones written about here in CT. I was a little shocked to see Rose Clark Ambler's murder mentioned in there or Frisbie Island. Then again I guess I should be since there are suppose to be more ghosts here than I can shake a stick at even if I haven't seen a single one.
So to sum it up for you. If you don't like one story just turn to the next one and you may enjoy that one more but if it is scary you are looking for, don't look here. These can be called interesting, silly, funny, but I didn't find them the lest bit scary.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your comment.