Pages

I use both a Nook and Kindle so if you see a book you wish to borrow just let me know and let's be friends...susanslomski@yahoo.com.





January 21, 2012

Book Five of My 2012 Goal.

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games Series, #2)Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Catching Fire is the second book of the Hunger Games trilogy picking up where Hunger Games left off. It is an action packed story following Katniss and Peeta through the 75th Hunger Games. It slowed where it needed to so we can get to know the characters (or maybe it was so we can catch our breath) and more about the districts and the people in them but it never became boring. There were so many twists and turns throughout the book that I thought were totally unpredictable. The suspense was at an all time high however Katniss' character seemed too hollow.

Katniss always seems 'out of it' and doesn't seem to think for herself or at least come to decisions and stick with it. Maybe it was because she just resigned herself to the situation and numbed herself to the outside world since she lived in District Twelve in less than perfect conditions, she fought for her life in the Hunger Games, and now has President Snow's threat to her, her family, and those she cared looming over her head. I am not sure the reason but she seemed laid back emotionally without making her mind up about Peeta and Gail. She was a little emotionally flat in book one but I took that as shock and immaturity however her character never seems to grow with all she has gone through. I don't mean she is without total emotions as she did show raw emotions concerning Peeta and even in Hunger Games with the fate of Rue but she seemed to run on the instinct to survive and keep those dear to her alive. She couldn't even function without Petta by her side and being her voice.

I thought the 75th Games were going to be a repetition of the the previous game but it wasn't. I was wondering how Collins was going to pull this off but she did. The arena set up and the clock and the sections was brilliant. Again a surprise ending to the games that wasn't suppose to happen.

The sparks Katniss created in Hunger Games catching fire in the districts (uprising) was a great twist leading to her being the symbol of the rebellion. The dress she wore that took her from the "Girl on Fire" to the "Mockingjay" was brilliant! In fact, I was wondering the significance of the Mockingjay. I know it was explained what they were and how the Jabberjays backfired on the Capital in Hunger Games (which I found amusing) and the pin Katniss wore but the significance of the birds were was a mystery to me until now. It is a fantastic symbol and I even want a pin of a Mockingjay now.

Just like when I was reading Hunger Games I couldn't put the book down. Not only did I totally enjoyed it, I highly recommend it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your comment.