Pages

I use both a Nook and Kindle so if you see a book you wish to borrow just let me know and let's be friends...susanslomski@yahoo.com.





December 31, 2012

Review of the Top Ten 2012 Books/Authors

I really cut my 2012 challenge of 60 books close by just finishing my 60th book New Years Eve morning. Hopefully this year I will leave myself a little more wiggle room. I thought I would re-cap 10 of my favorites in 2012 (in no special order).

(Click on the name of the book and it will take you to my original post.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Joel Tuggle wrote:

The Church Retreat which I only gave 3 stars to. Not because I didn't like it but because the author had so much going on that I thought it 'took away' from the original plot. I thought he could have followed through on some to make this even a bigger mystery or paranormal thriller than it was however, it is a good read just the way it is, hence 3 stars...I liked it.

Old East
I had an unique privilege from this author to read his manuscript for his next book. (I am not sure what his final name for it will be but so far it is "Old East".) It was fantastic! This is not to be confused with the one on the Goodreads site now. This one is not published yet but if it were, I'd give it 5 stars.

All you Civil War buffs pay attention because this one should be on your 'must read' shelf. If you're like me and not a history buff, no worries. This should still go on your 'must read' self because you don't have to know a lot of history to 'get it'. If you know there was a Civil War that it was fought by the Union (North) and Confederacy (South) and the Confederacy was defeated then you know enough to understand what is going on without any problems.

More about this author in my opinion and observations:

Joel Tuggle is very detailed oriented. His writings are thorough and at times to a fault as in The Church Retreat. However, I did enjoy this trait in Old East because it enhanced the story instead of taking away from it. I love how both his books have that added supernatural element into it. I also love how there is a story within a story in Old East. I thought that was very cleaver instead of just writing a history story. I should also add that because he is so thorough that his books are no quick reads. They are between  three and four hundred pages. Remember though, that is 300 - 400 pages of pleasure. I am his fan and can't wait until his next book.


*   *   *   *   *

2. Suzanne Collins wrote:

The Hungar Games Trilogy

The Hungar Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay which are three of the most unforgettable books I have read in a long time. I am not even sure what to classify them as, thrillers? Adventures? Science Fiction? Maybe all of these and one more, excellent! 

The story was well done, the writing and scenes complete, the whole thing came together as a masterpiece. I still wear my Mockingjay pin. (Whether I wear it as support for author or as a message to the White House I am not saying.) This is a series that will not soon be forgotten. I loved the movie too (I had too see it when it came out) although they cut a lot out. The books were so much better. 

More about this author in my opinion and observations:

Suzanne Collins is from CT (So why don't I have autographed copies?) and wrote some children's shows before she was talked into giving books a try. Thank goodness! She does have the Underland Cronicles Series out also which is more of a child's book vs young adult. There is no mention of what she is writing next so I will have to keep an eye out.


*   *   *   *   *

3. C.A.S Novel (AKA: Christopher Albert Summerfield) wrote:

Meltdown which once you pick it up, you won't want to put it down. This thriller really had me at the edge of my seat more than once. I gave this book a solid 5 stars. 

More about this author in my opinion and observations:

Now the bad news. This is the only book I found from this author. I don't even see a profile from him so I don't know if there are any more books in the works. If there are, you bet they are going on my "to read" list.


*   *   *   *   *

4. Annette Brownlee wrote:

Deadly Chaos is book #1 in the Spirit Savers Series. I gave 5 stars without a bit of hesitation. I would call it a paranormal adventure and another one of those books I found hard to put down. I am so looking forward to book #2, Deadly Intent. 

More about this author in my opinion and observations:

Annette Brownlee wrote many books and I expect she will continue writing them if not in her own name then maybe another since she already is a ghost writer. I love the way she writes and will be reading more by her. 


*   *   *   *   *

5.  Andrew Butcher wrote:

A Death Displaced: Lansin Island Series which is a must read for all mystery, paranormal, romance buffs. I gave it 5 stars because there is no 6th. 

More about this author in my opinion and observations:

Andrew Butcher has a way with words. He can describe a place and make you 'see it' in your mind's eye. What he lacks in age he makes up with in his 'golden pen'. The second book, A Body Displaced is due out in 2013 and it will be on my reading list. 


*   *   *   *   *

6.  Scot Bartz wrote:

TYMURS: The 1982 Tylenol Murders which is a non-fiction, crime really had me thinking about the incident. Well, I called it an incident, it really is murders. It was a real eye-opener about what happened, could have happened and got covered up. The research that went into this book is staggering. A solid 5 stars. 

More about this author in my opinion and observations:

Scot Bartz not only put a lot of research into this book he worked for Johnson & Johnson. 


*   *   *   *   *

7. David Grace wrote:

The Concrete Kiss was page after page of exciting action, suspense, and mystery. It was two stories/plots that came together as one and done in a way that it just flowed naturally. I gave it a solid 5 stars. 


More about this author in my opinion and observations:

David Grace is author of many books that appear to be in the mystery, thriller, suspense genre. 

*   *   *   *   *

8. Aija & Thornne wrote:

A Soldier's Promise is a military love story that I found delightfully different. It gets to a point where the reader is invited into the characters' most intimate feelings by reading their love letters. It is unlike any story I had read and I gave it 5 stars. 



More about this author in my opinion and observations:

Aija M. Butler has many books already although this is the first of hers I read. This is Thornne Xaiviannt's first book from the best as I can tell. Together they really wrote something different and I hope they continue in their writings. 


*   *   *   *   *

9. Stuart Oldfield wrote:

White Rabbit (Omnibus Edition) is a fictional fantasy like no other I have read. This reminded me of an Alice in Wonderland of the 60's while on some psychedelic drugs with visions that would make Sigmund Freud blush. To be perfectly honest with you, I almost put the book down because it was really out there...way out there but I stuck with it and I am so glad I did. IT is no short story as it is 4 stories in one; Book 1: The One Who Is Two, Book 2: Friends and Enemies, Book 3: Red Tape, Book 4: Woman Who Looks Both Ways. I gave them 5 stars. 

More about this author in my opinion and observations:

Stuart Oldfield really has a way with fantasy and words. Once I got over the shock of the weirdness of it all I realized this is one author that has the gift of words. Some of his descriptive scenes had me reading it over and over because of the beauty and power of the words. I don't see any new books in the making by him but I can hope.


*   *   *   *   *

10. K.P. Kollenborn wrote:

Eyes Behind Belligerence  is a fictional and lengthy novel of what life was like being Japanese in America just prior to and after the Bombing of Pearl Harbor during WWII. Although the author makes it clear this is a work of fiction many of the facts and events are historically accurate. This powerful book got 5 stars. 

More about this author in my opinion and observations:

This is the only book I found from this author. It is a shame because if more people would read books like this than the better off our planet would be. The time is set at WWII but it can be adapted to any time. Just insert 2001 as the year, Twin Towers as the event, and people from the Middle East for the Japanese. I still think that is such a powerful line: "Exiled, shamed and damned like bastards, we stare through these barbed wire fences, our eyes. our eyes betrayed by this world; our eyes behind belligerence." 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did say 10 so I will stop here but there are really a few more I gave 5 star ratings to so don't be shy and look back to my older posts and see which ones they are. You' ll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me your comment.